Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket

4/23/09

MRI Escapades

OK, so the MRI is over and I survived. Barely. I was given a prescription for something to relax me, being as I am VERY claustrophobic! Sadly, I couldn't find anyone to drive me today, so I didn't get to take the meds I was planning to take for relaxation. Big. Mistake. Really. I was fine until I actually got in the room in front of the MRI monster machine. I had already been given the IV for my contrast, so I thought I was good to go for the MRI. I didn't even faint. Until I walked into the room and looked at the monster machine. That's right people. I fainted after just looking at the machine. Sad. True. I'm pathetic. So, once I came back to, I was told to lie on my stomach on the bed with my arms on the pillow above my head. The nice lady place headphone over my head with some pretty gospel music playing (per my request) and told me to relax. Close my eyes. I promise I tried to do like you told me to, counting my breaths. Not a big help when I'm hyperventilating! Thanks for the suggestion though. It almost might have worked. Maybe. If I wasn't screaming at the top of my lungs "please let me out of this thing!" I tried to calm down. Not alot of luck there. I spent the most hellish afternoon in that deathtrap machine, praying for the Lord to give me strength, praying for Him to take the fear away. The nice lady came in and pulled me out of the tunnel after I passed out for (I think) the third time. Did you know it take ALOT longer to do an MRI when they have to constantly stop the testing to let me breathe into a paper sack to stop the hyperventilation. Did you know that even as loud as those MRI's get, it IS possible for a person to scream loud enough for the people in the waiting rooms to hear OVER THE MACHINE?! Yeah. Did you have an MRI today? That crazy lady screaming in the MRI room today? That was ME. Sorry if you are suffering a permanent hearing loss. I tried. Really, I did. What did I learn from this experience today? Next time I need an MRI and they give me pills to take, I need to take them. Driver or no driver. I need to take them. Did I learn anything else from this? Yes. I never want to even look at an MRI again. EVER.
Photobucket



9 comments:

  1. I am so sorry that you had such a traumatic day. Hopefully you won't need another MRI any time soon. I hope the results come back showing that you are in perfect health!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kaleena! You succeeded! You got through! Didn't want to tell you all these horror stories ahead of time but I SURE wish you would have been able to take the meds. I couldn't even get through with screaming without heavy doses of tranquilizers. I wish I lived closer! I would have driven AND held your hand. I don't know WHY it isn't mind over matter but it's NOT! We'll look back one day at these machines and liken them to barbarous times. It's over. THAT'S A VICTORY GIRL!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Those MRI machines are BIG. My oldest has to get one every year now. It was every six months. He had a brain tumor. It will be two years this May 23rd.

    I have been praying for you, and for God to have everything turn out good. I will continue to pray... God Bless.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I had hoped the counting the breaths would help for you. I did not think about the hyperventilating part. I am glad you finally got through it though. What an ordeal it was for you! The techs who did it for me were very interested in how it was since I could not hear the machine. So I had to explain what it was like. Interesting to me that they were so interested.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey girl, at least is done and behind you! Yea you did it! Wish I lived closer as I so would have given you a ride :) We'll just pray now that was the last time you'll need one for a long time :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Bless your heart! I am anxious for the whole ordeal to be over for you.

    ReplyDelete
  7. How sad! Thankfully it is over and it's just a memory that you will laugh about later... Well maybe :)
    Vanessa

    ReplyDelete
  8. Since you still haven't gotten your MRI results it must be good news. They always let you know immediately when it is bad news, but take their time getting back to you when they don't find anything. Good luck.

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a terrifying experience! Have you gotten your results back?

    ReplyDelete

Comments are ALWAYS appreciated, so PLEASE leave me some love!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails